Sunday, August 1, 2010





We are in Ica now. Got here yesterday by bus driving down the coast on the Pan-American Highway which was a good road and pretty straight. As we drove out of the city along the coast we saw surfers catching the big waves wearing what I would have to believe were heavy wet suits! It look fun and scary and extremely cold! We drove awhile and then stopped at this truck stop that puts Al's Oasis to shame. It was fun choosing something from the menu and then we shared with everyone at the table so we had our own buffet of sorts. Out in the water were high out-croppings of rock called sea stacks. Never heard of that before. The land along the coast quickly turned to sand dunes which were huge like I would imagine in the Sahara. The ride was 5 hours so I had a chance to catch up on some sleep before we got to Ica. Our hostel here is very cold at night and I wish I had brought my flannel nightie. We hear all the noise from the street here also. Everything has gates and doors with bars on then that are locked all the time and you have to ring a door bell to get in.

Today was kind of slow but we got all of our materials organized. This will be quite a production when it gets going because of the medical and health team. We have 3 doctors with us now and I've lost track of how many nurses. We did some exploring today at a market and around the community of the hostel. We bought some fruit at a market for Bible School tomorrow and I was surprised by how many fruits I recognized. There are lots of different kinds of potatoes through which is interesting for a potato lover like me.

We had our first Spanish church service tonight and I was very impressed. It moved me in a way which is hard to explain at this point. Maybe later I can put it into words. I hope everyone is well. I smell my first Peruvian pizza so I have to go so I don't miss out!