Saturday, August 7, 2010


We stayed in Paracas last night and some of the group got on a boat early this morning and went out to an island with penguins, pelicans, seals, and other sea life but I decided that a slow morning to myself would be awfully nice. I like everyone in the group very much but I´m just not used to so much togetherness. I made cross necklace kits for the Bible School group we were to have that day and shopped around. I got some nice things for very good prices and found an ATM to get some cash for the remainder of the trip. Felt good

Bible School was really fun. We went to and area that was constructed of houses which were basically plywood boxes on a sand road. This city was swept clean by the tsunami which swept over the city after the earthquake just north of there. The hotel and all the shops along the boardwalk were new and pretty as compared to the rest of Peru. We had some extra helpers, Jim and Jean, with us today and we were thankful for their help with the 26 kids. We have done the same lesson so many times now that we have it perfected by now and feel pretty good about what we are doing with them.

After Bible School we ate lunch and did some more shopping while we were waiting for the food to come....have to help the local economy. Then on we drove in small vans instead of the chicken bus toward Nasca along the road with just sand to look at on either side. We were driving toward the mountains and as we got closer they looked a lot like the Badlands but with out any of the color in the layers and much bigger but shaped the same. When we got to the top of the plateau we stopped at a viewing platform where you could see a couple of the line formations. I had planned on taking the flight over the lines tomorrow but I have decided against it. The Peruvians say it is very dangerous and they don´t do it so that says something about it. Only 6 of the group were going. When I did the paperwork to go on this trip, I had to fill in a form giving instructions as to what to do with my body if something should happen here and it gave me a shiver so I´m not testing my luck. I hope you are happy with me, Wes

ve been reflecting on all the creature comforts we are doing without here and actually it's not so bad and I'm kind of proud of myself. I can now use the toilet without sitting on the seat because there is usually none. I can remember to throw the toilet paper away when I'm done because they don't flush here unless it is brown. I can brush my teeth using bottled water instead of running the tape, the water isn't drinkable. I can take a shower in 5 minutes so others can have hot water too. I don't eat lettuce or vegetables because they aren't safe for the same reason and I wear about 3 layers of clothing which I peel off during the day and then put back on at night. We eat a lot of chicken and rice but we did have pizza tonight so it was a big night on the town of Nasca. I miss home and I will go back to using a microwave very easily.

Blessings,

Debi